We believe that swimming is an essential life skill that provides children with the ability to participate in sport, and swim in the ocean, lakes and pools in a confident and safe manner.
At the Murray Rose Aquatic & Fitness Centre, our Swimming lessons are designed to the public and are designed a lifelong skill to improve your child’s confidence in the water, build swim safety awareness and provide a pathway into aquatic sporting programmes such as Squads and Water Polo.
Key points for Cranbrook Swimming Lessons
- Open for Cranbrook Students and wider community
- On-going perpetual programme – 48 weeks of the year
- Enrol any time
- 30 minute swimming lessons
- Fortnightly direct debits
- Progressive structure and individual tailored programmes for:
- Infants – 6 months until independently walking
- Toddlers – From 12 months to 3 years
- Pre School – 3 to 5 years
- Primary – 5 to 12 years
- Live tracking of your child’s progress on your home portal
- Online registration and payment updates
- Teaching is based on maximising participation time
- Teaches critical water safety components
- Framework covers the technical proficiency of all four competitive strokes
How To Join
3 simple steps
1. Determine your child’s swimming ability
- Use the tables below to determine your child’s swimming ability according to our framework
- If you are unsure of your child’s swimming ability and would like a free assessment, please email LearnToSwim@cranbrook.nsw.edu.au
2. Use the registration links below to create a home portal account. This account will allow you to register multiple students and live track your progress. Gmail – check the promotions folder. Yahoo and other emails – check the junk folder.
3. Once registered, our Learn to Swim team will need to verify your registration and child’s swimming ability. Arrive on time for your first lesson and your child will be assessed in the first five minutes to ensure the correct level has been chosen. This will verify the account, or our team will advise of a new level.
* Please note – Refunds will not be provided for incorrect assessments. If your child is incorrectly classified by you when registering, we will offer you the correct class level, however this may not be the same day and time as registered.
Here you can set up an account, track progress, view availability, book and purchase on-going lessons and holiday courses. Once you have booked your first lesson you will be able to manage lesson bookings and course progress online.
The benefits include:
- Records of achievement
- Live progress reports
- Ability to book and pay online
- One account for multiple children
Infants and Toddlers
This class is aimed at infants from 6 months old until they are able to walk with no support from an adult. An adult must accompany the child in the water at all times. Lessons focus on promoting early water confidence and basic motor skills. This Infant class is an introduction to water, water safety and communication in the water. The aim of the class is to help children understand and be comfortable in the water.
This class is aimed at toddlers who can walk with no support from an adult up to 3 years old. An adult must accompany the child in the water at all times. Lessons focus on promoting early water confidence, basic motor skills and introduce independent movement.This is where they learn cues and gain an understanding of what to do if they are to fall in the pool outside of a Learn to Swim environment. They will learn safe entry and exits into the pool. Kicks and paddle arms are a good learning curve for when they move into a Pre-school class which is taught without an adult in the water.
This class is aimed at children aged 3 to 4 years who are new to swimming lessons and/or are not yet water confident e.g., unable to submerge their face confidently, float on their front and back unaided, and have aged out of infant classes. This is the entry level class starting with the basics of Learn to Swim.
Continuing with safe entry and exit into the pool, this is where they will be introduced to submerging and kicking on their front and back.
This class is aimed at children aged 3 to 4 years who have completed Pre-school 1. Children must be water confident e.g. able to submerge their face confidently, float on their front and back unaided. Introduction to kicking on their front and back with paddle / big arms will be taught.
Once the child has turned 5, they will move onto our Level programme into a Level 1 class.
This is an entry level class for children 5 years and over. Level 1 develops basic water safety awareness through fun, structured lessons that promote the development of essential swimming skills as well as working on travel movements on front and back over 6m.
Continuing with safe entry and exit into the pool, it is an introduction to water for a swimmer over 5 years old. Kicking and big arms on their front and back will be taught.
Level 2 is a big step in getting out of the entry levels and more into a stroke correction-based level. The class also focuses on continuing to develop water safety skills, introduction to freestyle and backstroke arms.
Children will start to learn bilateral breathing in freestyle. They will continue to learn back kicking / float, working towards 8m front and back without the use of buoyancy aids.
Level 3 is an introduction to breaststroke kick and the understand of the motion of the feet with propulsion and movement. They will continue to develop water safety skills, tumble turns and diving.
They will also continue to develop freestyle and backstroke working towards swimming 9m unaided on both front and back. This is a level purely focused on stroke correction with free style bilateral breathing and backstroke kicking and arms.
This level will be an introduction to breaststroke arms and developing correct breaststroke timing, correct kicking techniques for all four competitive strokes. Students will continue to develop water safety skills, tumble turns and diving.
They will continue to develop their freestyle and backstroke working, and should be able to complete 18m of both freestyle and backstroke unaided with correct form and body position.
Level 5 continues to focus on the correct technique for freestyle and backstroke, introduction to breaststroke timing and performing the full stroke with kicking and arms with full propulsion as well as an introduction to butterfly timing with kicking and arms for 25m.
The class will continue to develop water safety skills, tumble turns and diving.
Level 6 is the final level for our Learn to Swim programme and provides preparation for Squad based sessions. This includes tumble turns, reading a pace clock and striving for distance in all four competitive strokes.
Students at this level will develop effective techniques for all four competitive strokes, focusing on correct breathing and timing over 25m for breaststroke and butterfly. They will continue to develop water safety skills, tumble turns and diving.
Holiday intensive classes are 1 to 1 swim lessons that run at the same time for 5-days from Monday to Friday. The programme is open to levels Pre School 1 to Level 6 and are designed to fast track your child’s swimming ability. The 1 to 1 support will provide extra guidance, focus on stroke specific correction and help build the confidence of your child to gain the necessary skills and technique to move through our learn to swim programme.
Starts, Turns and Finishes clinics are designed to help develop essential race skills and prepare your child for their school swimming carnival or club swim meet. The private 1-1 sessions are open to all swimmers in level 4 or above in learn to swim and all squad members. Our fully qualified and experienced coaches will make sure your child is ready for all up and coming swim meets.
*Please note – squad members please select level 6 when enrolling
More information coming soon